Sunday, October 31, 2010
Pats beat Vikings 28-18, knock out Favre in 4th
The Pats started off the game rusty but hung in there until taking over late in the second half to improve to an NFL best 6-1 record with a ten point victory,28-18. The Pats hung tough despite a bad first half for the offense. They went into the half tied 7-7 thanks to a Danny Woodhead 3 yd run and a big goal line stand right before the half by Florida Gator draft picks Brandon Spikes and Jermaine Cunningham. Tom Brady got the offense on track in the second half and the defense contained Adrian Peterson while limiting the damage Favre could do. Favre left the game for good when he was hit by DT Myron Pryor with 7:26 left in the game. A phantom illegal contact penalty was called and lead to a Vikings touchdown to make it 21-18 with seven minutes left.
The game was won by the Patriots offensive line and running back BenJarvus Green Ellis who ran for 108 yards and 2TDS in the second half to seal the game for the Pats. Brady also hit Brandon Tate on a 65 yard touchdown pass on a broken play midway through the third to give the Pats a 14-10 lead they would not relinquish. Brady threw for 240 yards and a TD while former Pat Randy Moss had only one catch for 8 yards and was constantly double covered by a Patriots secondary that lined up against him tons in practice and knew how to take him out of the game.
1. BenJarvus Green Ellis- 17 carries for 112 yards and 2TDS finished the game for the Pats
2. The offensive line- the pass protection was suspect at times but the run blocking and pass protection was very good in the second half
3. Alge Crumpler- The veteran captain TE made some key blocks and his leadership was felt throughout the game
4. Jerod Mayo- lead the team in tackles and was simply fantastic leading the defense
5. Myron Pryor- knocked Favre out of the game so he is a winner in my book. I don't care if he didn't do much else. He put 8 stitches in the hick's chin
6. The new foghorn noise at the stadium- You hear that thing? It is fucking fantastic. If a fog horn doesn't fire you up, nothing will
- I can't find any as this really was an all around team effort and another win for the best team in the NFL.