Sunday, September 12, 2010
Pats win opener in impressive fashion
The Patriots look like a well oiled machine today against the Cincinnati Bengals jumping out to a 24-0 lead and never looking back to cruise to a 38-24 win. The Patriots defense looked very good throughout the first half. They seemed to lighten up on the intensity in the second half allowing the Bengals to pick up yards and points but to take up time at the same time. The team scored points in all three phases of the game as linebacker Gary Guyton returned his first career interception 59 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. The second half also began with a bang as second year wide receiver Brandon Tate returned the kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown. The team looked good throughout the game and the young secondary seems to be up to the challenge as they kept T.O. and OchoCinco in check throughout the first three quarters.
Here are my winners/losers for this Week 1 win(The Patriots seventh straight)
1. Tom Brady- 25/35 258 yds 3 TDS Great day for Brady and the first offense
2. Wes Welker- 8 rec 64 yards 2 TDS
3. Young Secondary- Butler and McCourty kept T.O. and Ochocinco in check all day while Pat Chung lead the team in tackles with 16.
4. Jerod Mayo- Clearly was the leader of the defense and had 8 solo tackles
1. Stephen Goskowski- Missed two field goals but both were 45+ yards so it is no reason to worry yet