Also, I'm going to just put the rankings and write up together to save time/space. You're welcome.
1. Maine - After a tough set of games last weekend against Michigan State, the Maine Black
Bears claimed their spot on top of my Hockey East rankings after two convincing victories over North Dakota this weekend. ND was ranked #2 nationally prior to this weekend, making the victories (7-3 and 4-2, respectively) even more impressive. Those of us around the BSRSB think Maine will probably only show up against tougher opponents, so it could be an up and down season. But for now, only up - look for their national stock to rise in the polls this week.
2. Boston College - After an impressive start to their year, BC drops a spot in my ranking (and probably in the national ones as well) after going 0-1 this weekend against Notre Dame in a battle of aspiring priests. ND was ranked much lower than BC coming in, so this is a bad loss for their squad (especially since BU beat the same Notre Dame team in the Ice Breaker). BC looks to rebound with a home and home against Merrimack next weekend.
3. Boston University - A four point weekend was exactly what the doctor ordered after a disappointing tie at home against Zoomass last weekend. Friday night, our Terriers took down the very same UMass team in Amherst, 4-3. On Saturday, the boys in Scarlet and White beat PC at home 2-1 in a victory very much thanks to goalie Kieran Millan. Next weekend BU will take on UMass Lowell in a home and home as Hockey East play swings into full gear.
4. UNH - Hanging in at the 4 spot this week, UNH tied Northeastern in their only play this weekend. This has to be a disappointing tie for UNH, as Northeastern has not been showing the stuff of a few years ago thus far this season. They are back in action at Cornell this Friday night.
5. Vermont - Only in play once this weekend, the Catamounts of Vermont skated to a 2-2 tie with Merrimack on Saturday night. I suppose that result has to be judged depending upon your opinion of Merrimack, and mine is only so-so. So this team hangs by the skin of their teeth to this 5 spot.
6. Merrimack - Oh hey look who it is! Yes the Mack tied UVM in their only play this weekend. Yes, I don't think these guys are that great. They haven't proven anything to me yet. Beat somebody other than UConn and get back to me.
7. Northeastern - Northeastern definitely could have slid up higher than 7th this week, after tying a better UNH team on Friday and beating UMass - Lowell on Saturday. However, I'm still wavering on this team. I really think Chris Rawlings will have to be an All World goalie this year to keep it up. His conquest to be the Michael Jordan of this hockey style Space Jam continues against Holy Cross and Bentley this coming weekend.
8. UMass - Amherst - They played us tough both last weekend and this weekend, and this is why they are ranked ahead of the ULowell and PC. But like I said, they could easily move down (or up, I suppose) in the coming weeks as the league really starts to shake out. Their journey to the bottom (or top) continues with a home and home against PC next weekend.
9. UMass - Lowell - They baaaarely eaked out an OT victory against PC on Friday night and then proceeded to cough the winning streak up to N'Eastern on Saturday. This could be a long year for the River Hawks...
10. Providence College - ...But it's going to be longer for PC. A two loss weekend can't be a good morale booster for Tim Army's squad (but hey, that's what you get for handing a scholarship to your son when nobody else wanted him). They look to climb out of the the basement against UMass Amherst this weekend...