Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rock Chalk Terriers: Upset City Baybay!

I'm still a bit in shock after seeing our Terriers basketball team pull of an immense upset in Burlington against the Scat-amounts, winning 66-64 in OT. Granted, Evan Fjeld went down in midgame with what's turned out to be only a sprained ankle (I'm glad it's only that, it looked fucking gross when they showed the replay of his ankle Theismannesque-ally bending in twain) Still, they were highly competitive even with Fjeld on the floor and the still-injured John Holland riding the pine cushioned seating with Jake. Darryl Partin took over the leading scorer role that he's verged on at times this year, scoring 23 for the Terriers.

The main thing I got from this game on TV was just how good D.J. Irving is and will continue to be as he grows within the BU program over the next three years. He scored 18 points in addition to running the offense very efficiently and effectively, particularly in the second half of the game. When Holland comes back, I see this team as certainly being a threat to Vermont for the AE tournament title. If Fjeld doesn't come back, the Terriers are the odds-on favorite right off the bat. With Fjeld and Holland both back, we could be in for another mighty interesting championship game in a couple weeks.

I also have to own up to totally blowing my picks for the AE over the weekend. Glad that BU won, but I didn't see at all that UNH and Maine would lose. Definitely gives me some pause as far as looking at the AE Bracket. Of course, that's when I'll make up my mistakes now with a perfect bracket there, but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment