Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bruins Habs, here we go...




This season has been one of the most interesting to watch as far as bad blood in the NHL goes. Tempers between Alex Ovechkin and Cindy Sidney Crosby boiled over through the first half of the season, and before Sidney's dive concussion, they were constantly jawing at each other any chance they can. Max Talbot's hit on Blake Comeau sparked an unholy brawl between the Penguins and the Islanders, which resulted in over 300 penalty minutes, upwards of 9 fighting majors, and leaving both teams with a combined 15 available skaters.

The hit that all of us will remember the 2011 season by will be Chara's hit on Paccioretty. It stirred up a lot of the bad blood that the Habs and Bruins already have with each other, and made for some interesting talk amongst fellow NHL fans. As pissed off as Habs fans might be about it, and I'm not saying they shouldn't be, they have to realize THIS WAS NOT A DIRTY HIT. I don't even like Chara but he was absolutely right in an interview saying that:

"I knew we were somewhere close to our bench but obviously that wasn't my intention to push him into the post. It's very unfortunate. In that situation everything's happening fast and even planning to do that, that’s not my style to hurt somebody. I always play hard. I play physical but I never try to hurt anybody so I'm hoping he's OK."

Habs fans need to grow up and realize that perhaps getting the Mounties involved is a bit of an overreaction.

Down to numbers. In this season, the Habs lead the Bruins in meetings 4-2. Looking at all of the stats I've found about their meetings, the Habs have the slightest edge over the Bruins. They both are averaging about the same number of shots and saves, but the Montreal special teams have fared better than the Black and Gold.

I give the edge to the B's on the shoulders of one man. Tim Thomas. The man is UNSTOPPABLE. Beating Dom Hasek's record .937 save percentage with .938, he came off the last games of the season with some unbelievable games. Even in a loss to the Rangers, he only let in one goal. If he doesn't win Vezina, I will personally sue the NHL.

And that's coming from a Rangers fan.

My final predictions, Bruins take it in 6. The Habs are gonna put up a fight, coming off a 7-0 loss the last time these teams met, but it won't be enough. The Bruins want this. Even if they don't make it past the semis, they want to beat these guys so badly. Look for hard, hard physicality from both ends of the ice. I think the Bruins are gonna have the edge as far as desperation goes. They had a disappointment last time they met the Habs in the Playoffs, and between that, and all that went down this season, they'll be firing on all cylinders.

No comments:

Post a Comment