Friday, September 2, 2011
What the Patriots' roster will look like by tomorrow at 4
With the mandatory NFL 53 man rosters going into effect by 4 pm tomorrow, the Patriots are forced to cut 27 guys from their current 80 man roster. They got started today cutting 8 players headlined by defensive lineman Darryl Richard and Brown grad WR Buddy Farnham, both practice team members last year and could easily land on the practice squad again if they clear waivers. From the remaining 72 players I am going to pick out the 53 I think will stick going from position to position. The players will be listed in order on my depth chart so the starter will be the first name then his backup...etc.
QB(3)- Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett
- Hoyer beats out Mallett for the backup job based strictly on experience as the rookie had the better arm but still is learning the offense and how to play in the NFL.
RB(4)-Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley
- The tough cut here would be Sammy Morris who is nothing but a professional but especially after suffering a concussion in last night's preseason finale, seems unlikely to take up a roster spot. Expect veteran Kevin Faulk to be placed on PUP until week 7.
WR(6)- Wes Welker, Chad Ochocinco, Randy Moss, Julian Edelman, Taylor Price, Matthew Slater
- Curly's favorite player Brandon Tate is the odd man out here as his kick returner role is less important with the new rules preventing run backs 40% of the time. Slater out performed him as a receiver and is a big special teams player and received praise from Coach Belichick after the game. Oh yeah and that isn't a typo I am predicting Randy Moss to be with the Patriots team by opening day against the Dolphins. It was reported that Moss was playing golf at a local course in Bellingham, MA which borders Foxboro. When asked by fellow players what he was doing here, Moss responded " I'm here on business" . I'll give you a hint...he isn't here to help Bill O'Brien call the plays. In a suprising move, Belichick cuts Branch who has had a weak camp and brings in Moss.
TE(3)- Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Will Yeatman
- No surprises here as Yeatman beat out fifth round pick Lee Smith who could end up on injured reserve
OT(4)- Matt Light, Sebastian Vollmer, Nate Solder, Steve Maneri
- All the suspense here was gone as soon as Mark Levoir was cut
G/C(5)- Dan Koppen, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Andre Gurode
- Another prediction of an outside move as Rich Ohrnberger gets the axe and Gurode is brought in as is being reported. Should make for some interesting practices this year with Gurode's history with our model citizen fat Albert...
DT(5) - Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth, Gerard Warren, Kyle Love, Myron Pryor
- No suspense here
DE(5)- Andre Carter, Shaun Ellis, Jermaine Cunningham, Mike Wright, Mark Anderson
- Anderson makes the team after showing what the can do in the beginning of the pre season before getting hurt. This leaves Eric Moore on the outside looking in but he certainly will find work elsewhere quickly
LB(6)- Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Gary Guyton, Dane Fletcher, Rob Ninkovich, Tracey White - White is a big special teams player while Ninkovich and Fletcher provide great depth while also contributing on special teams
CB(5)- Devin McCourty, Leigh Bodden, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, Antwuan Molden-
- Claiming Molden on waivers was a nice way of saying that Darius Butler can't play as the fifth corner in this league. Look for him to catch on somewhere else and contribute
S(4)- Pat Chung, Brandon Meriweather, Sergio Brown, James Ihedigbo
- Josh Barrett is the surprise cut here as he may have started to see what he could do with the first team defense and I have to say i was not that impressed.
Special teams(3)-Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, James Dearth
- No surprises here after Matt Katula was cut as I predicted in my first run at this