Monday, January 23, 2012
New week of meaningless polls: BU stays at #2
BU has remained #2 nationally in the latest USCHO.com poll while receiving 5 first place votes this week. That was 5 more than last week as current #1 and defending champs Minnesota-Duluth held all the first place votes last week. Here is the rest of the top 10 and other notables.
1.UMD 17-4-3 - The Bulldogs are lead by BU captain Chris Connolly's brother Jack. It is a good time to be a member of the Connolly family.
2. BU 15-6-3- BU is on a roll(just like I said they would over break) and have the most fan support behind them since 2009.
3. Minnesota 17-9-1 - The Gophers are starting to fade but should be able to hold on for an NCAA berth
4. Notre Dame 14-9-3
5. Merrimack 13-5-5 - They lost senior forward Carter Madsen this weekend to a serious knee injury which is a tough blow for the club but they always seem to stay afloat despite injuries, well the last couple years
6. The Ohio State 14-7-4- They are starting to fade alot like Minnesota due to their youth but we'll see how much fight they have in that team.
7. Newton University (BC) 14-10-1- Shit happens when you don't have a decent goalie, eh?
8. Michigan 15-9-4 - Michigan has been climbing especially since getting d-man Jon Merrill back from his first half suspension
9. Cornell 11-4-4 - Cornell is actually a decent team unlike Yale last year who just beat up on the EZAC.
10. Ferris State 15-8-3
11. Lowell 14-6-0- They sweep NU and make it seem like the 2/17, 2/18 series with BU is going to be a good one
15. Denver 13-8-3
20. Maine 12-8-3- Thank you for sweeping Maine. Now its your turn to get swept you bunch of hillbillies.
-The USA Today poll still isn't up because they suck for whatever reason. INCH released their power rankings and they finally recognized BU as their #2 team. I guess you need to outscore PC 14-1 in a weekend to be recognized as a good team.
- Hockey East also published it's weekly press release where it recognized goalie Kieran Millan as defensive player of the week with .984 save percentage on the weekend. They also recognized Sahir Gill, Matt Nieto, Wade Megan, Garrett Noonan, and Alexx Privitera as Top Performers. I think that is good right? For whatever reason got shafted from that section but got recognized for his 12 points in his last 6 games. Coach Jack Parker was mentioned for his 400th career Hockey East win. It's a great Monday to be a Terrier fan.