Today, most of you probably spent your afternoon recovering from 12/12/12 hangovers, preparing for finals next week, and lamenting the fact that Agganis will not be filled with screaming Terrier fans for several weeks. Unless you're me or GW or one additional Dog Pound affiliate, who snuck into the Jack Parker Rink to enjoy an afternoon of hockey scrimmaging between Terrier alumni and the current players.
It was pretty awesome. Here's a brief recap & photos of the action.
My two favorite parts of the afternoon were easily:
1. Parker's chirps and casual attitude with the players and refs. He's always so serious during games, alternating between cold, reserved, calculating stoicism and awesome outbursts of furious shouting (usually directed at zebras). It was cool to see him laughing during a game.
2. Jay Pandolfo's children. Pandolfo's wife and kid(s) were at the rink to enjoy the game as well and I feel obligated to tell you that his son Sammy is probably the most adorable human being I've ever encountered in my life. Trying desperately to yell encouraging words at his father who had a -1000% chance of hearing him, always involved in the game, and playing with another youngster who I assume was his brother. They each got a puck from dad as a souvenir and Sammy asked, "Daddy, did you slash him before? Are you going in the penalty box?" I lost it.
I don't care how creepy it seems that we snagged a picture of Jay and his son talking hockey after the 1st period. The world needed to know. Sammy Pandolfo is the best. He made me even more conflicted about Pandolfo as a player (former Terrier, but also former NJ Devil AND current Islander. Ugh).
|Sammy is the best. Also, cameo by Yipper.|
- Sahir Gill scored a hat trick on Maguire, some of which were real beauties. Both teams immediately knew it was Giller's third when the puck hit the net. By the time we realized (it was tough to keep track of all the goals, especially with numberless practice jerseys) Keenan was already dropping the puck at center ice. And so I missed the chance to be an asshole and toss my hat on the ice. Sahir! Sa-there! He's Sa-everywhere!
- Scooby embellished intentionally to poke fun with the refs. He took a light tap to the leg and sprawled out across the ice, clutching his knee before chirping the nearest ref, who laughed back at him. Pretty awesome to see them joking around considering Parker's recent controversial statements about HEA diving.
- Santana wheeled around the zone for like 20 seconds with the puck, dangling opponents' sticks before dishing the puck and crashing the net to backhand one past Mags' blocker. I want to see that happening in a regular season game now.
- The Yips being shouted by the players.
- Again, Pandolfo's kid(s) are awesome.
- Stick salute at the end of the game, directed entirely at us and the Pandolfo family. Between the 6 or so of us, the only ones in the entire arena. I'm not sure the team knew why or how we were sitting in the stands watching this game but they were laughing during the salute. Cool stuff.