Monday, March 5, 2012
The last week of regular season polls came out today with BU coming at #6 in the USCHO poll while we wait on the USA Today poll. BU came in #7 in the INCH Power rankings.
Here is a look at the USCHO top 10 and any other team I feel like making fun of/giving my opinion on...
1. Newton University (BC) 25-10-1- They got all 50 first place votes this week which is exactly what you want going into the tournament if you're a BU fan. Let every team that they play gear up for the unanimous #1 team in the country.
2. Ferris State (22-9-5)- I honestly couldn't give you one name associated with Ferris State hockey but I guess they're good?
3. Minnesota Duluth (22-8-6)- Scary team come tournament time but have struggled a bit to end the regular season
4. Michigan (21-11-4)- The return of Jon Merrill has been huge for this club and they are one of the hottest teams in the country. I would be shocked if they didn't win the CCHA tournament.
5. Minnesota(24-12-1)- This team has a ton of talent up front with Rau and Bjugstad among others and a stellar goalie so they will be a tough out come NCAA time.
6. BU(21-12-1)- Best team in the country. Just flying under the radar for now. That is all.
7. Lowell(22-10-1)- Will be interesting to see what happens if there is a BU-UML Semifinal at the Garden and Bennedetto is the ref. He certainly won't have a quick whistle in that game if there is a loose puck around the net
8. Union(20-7-7)- Quietly beating up on the rest of the crappy teams in the EZAC with many at-large teams hoping that them or Cornell win the ECAC tournament so another at-large berth is not lost.
9. Denver(21-11-4)- Have hung in there all year long despite some pretty big goaltending injuries and the injury to Zucker a few weeks ago.
10. Maine(20-11-3)- Maine looks destined to return to the NCAA's for the first time since 2007 but that fan base is going to want more than a one and done from Whitehead's team that's top line could be the Hockey East First Team.
14.Merrimack- They need to win their QF series with Maine at Alfond of their season will most likely be over.
17. Notre Dame- They need to make a serious run in the CCHA tournament in order to have a chance of sneaking in. Their 19-16-3 record isn't going to get it done as of now.