Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bring On Broad Street

Well done Bruins...well done.

Okay, so my 6-game prediction might be out the window, but that was one hell of a series. Out of all of the playoff series of any sport I've watched, that was one I certainly won't be forgetting any time soon. I don't want to stir up any bad memories for Red Sox fans, but it actually made me think of the 2003 ALCS series between the Yankees and Sox. The bitter rivalry, the talent between the two teams, the deafening crowds, the desire to win, the back-and-forth, the game 7 winner in extra time...
EDIT: it should be noted I am NOT trying to make remarks about New York winning, I just wanted to highlight how similar the atmosphere of both series are.

I'm gonna do a short review of the game only because I want to put my insights on the series as a whole, and rant about Philadelphia scum for a bit.

This game was just intense. The first period showcased a ruthless Bruins offense, scoring two goals in the first ten minutes, and some great defensive work from Chara and fellow defensemen. The Habs kept up their great special teams units however, and scored on the powerplay soon thereafter, and then tied it in the second on a shorthanded breakaway from Plekanec. Both teams would score again in the third, and bring it to overtime, where Horton would find the back of the net and extend the Bruins season.

This was a series that, I think, to most Bruins fans, was better than winning the Stanley Cup. The Bruins and Habs rivalry dates back to the 1950's, and has been getting nastier and nastier ever since. This 5 or so years, however, has heightened this rivalry to places never seen. Between Habs fans disrespecting America, to Steve Begin breaking Marc Savard's back in a preseason game (couldn't find a video), to Chara shattering Paccioretty, these are two teams with nothing but bad blood between them. The worst part for Bruins fans is how they hate these guys so much, and do fairly well against them in the regular season, but will continue to get pounded by them in the playoffs. To have a bitter rival beat you in the playoffs time and time again is a shitty feeling, and Bruins fans are sick of the Habs. This was a series of redemption for them. If they don't win a single game against Philly (fingers crossed they do though), I feel that fans of the Black and Gold won't be all that disappointed. There's something to be said about knocking out the Habs in Boston. Something to be said for "Dirty Water" to be playing while the Habs hold their heads in defeat while the Bruins celebrate. There's something to be said for the Bruins finally being able to say "we won." against these guys. This was a series that will be in hearts and minds of Bruins fans for a long time to come.

Jack Edwards says it best. I could shed the manliest tear to that video.

On to the next one. Philadelphia. Ohhhh Philly.....where do I begin. As you all know, I am in fact a New York Rangers fan, which, by default, means I feel no shame wishing harm upon any Philadelphia athlete. I absolutely HATE anything and everything associated with the Philadelphia Flyers. Everything. I loop Philadelphia sports with BC and NU sports. I would rather sit in a room filled with Eagleboys talking about Jerry York and how he deserves a key to the city of Boston than listen to a Flyers fan open his mouth. When the Flyers and Bruins squared off in Boston for the Winter Classic, Boston was infested. I went to the Museum of Science that weekend...it was like being in a city filled with roaches who smell like shit and talk like morons. Everywhere you looked, there was a fucking Flyers fan. It was brutal. These fans are people who enjoy cheap and dirty play, and who are completely disrespectful. I want gloves dropped. I want penalty minutes skyrocketed. From their god-awful jerseys to their overtly cheap playing style (which rivals the Islanders, another team who I have no qualms wishing bad things upon), this is just a group of assholes, and they aren't worth the chair that I'm sitting in. Their fans are an infestation, and I sincerely hope that a couple Philly fans get a Boston fist in their mouths when they come up for the games in Boston.

Fuck the Flyers. Time to get loud, Bruins fans. You might not hate them as much as the Habs, but I know you hate the Broad Street Pussies Bullies, and they gotta know it.

Chara, do what you must this series.

1 comment:

  1. also, my apologies for no game 6 review, i barely barely watched it, i have been slammed with work this week

    ReplyDelete